People tend to face numerous issues with respect to their automobiles. Some of the most common problems that people face are:
- Buying a defective car and getting refused a refund, fixing and replacement by the manufacturer.
- After completing a final loan contract, you are asked to sign a new contract with higher down payment.
- You are trapped with deceptive advertisements and you have been sold a more expensive car.
- Dealer conceals optional add-ons and undervalues the trade-in during fixing of the deals.
- Your car is repossessed without your consent by the creditor.
Know Your Rights
There are different laws that save the consumers from auto fraud. Here is a list of various laws and their scheme of protection.
Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act
This law is utilised when a contractor, warrantor or supplier denies complying with a service contract, written warranty or implied warranty.
State Repossession Laws
These laws state that:
- Your car cannot be removed from a locked garage by the car repossession company without your consent.
- You can put your car up in auction or you can pay the full money in order to buy back the car.
- On paying repossession costs or reinstating your loan, you can get your car back in some states.
- Your car must not be sold below market value.
- You should be informed whether the creditor will put the car up for auction or not.
State Lemon Laws
Those cars are dealt by lemon laws that have been repaired many times for the same defect. Different states have different lemon laws.
- Your car should be replaced or refunded by the manufacturer for a substantial defect after four tries.
- Your car should be refunded or replaced for a safety defect after two tries.
Truth in Lending Act (TILA)
According to TILA, interest rates and other information regarding the loan should be disclosed by the lenders before processing a loan. You can get the best auto financing rate with the help of TILA.
Unfair, Deceptive, or Abusive Acts or Practices (UDAP)
You are protected by UDAP from deceptive, unfair and false acts including the false advertisements.
Contacting an Attorney
You should know about the following, if you want to contact an attorney.
Keep record of the timing of the car when it is out for service and keep track of the repair attempts. Every time you repair the car, do not forget to submit a dated and written list of problems to your dealer.
Before entitling to a replacement or refund, you must go through the notice requirement of your state.
Your Refund or Replacement
Ask the manufacturer for a replacement or refund only after confirming that your car is qualified as a lemon. You may have to go through arbitration if a valid arbitration program is incorporated into your written warranty, in order to get your replacement or refund.